Caleb!

on Friday, September 11, 2009

Well, it has been around a year since the remarkable Caleb has graced our lives. Caleb is a dog that seems to be overly judged by his reputation, but he easily one of the best dogs I have had the pleasure of having in my life. He is such a mix of traits, playful, silly, then mischievous and ornery, but always so eager to please. He has always been a genuine good dog.

From his expressions and intelligence to his solid build and beautiful coloring, I figured when he entered our lives he would be a wonderful stud for Clem. As often happen with plans, things change. We had Caleb's hips xrayed and those pictures came back not so good. As the vet went over the photos, Caleb sensed my disappointment and I could tell from how he reacted he felt I was disappointed in him. That brought me around and I spend the rest of that night letting him know how wonderful he is.

Mandy came up and confirmed that his hips we not acceptable for breeding. Then as we had breakfest, my mind wandering, she made the statement I half heard "you can always find him a good home." and my reaction sort of stunned.. "huh? he has a good home." Then Mandy sort of laughing at me, she knew Caleb would never leave our home and was playing with me.

At any rate, we had Caleb fixed, I swear that affected me more than him. But, as the saying goes, "know thyself" If we did not have him fixed, well, I might have ended up tempting fate.

Mandy warned me long ago that the Corgis are like potato chips, well, she is right. I am so lucky to have a home that has the room to support our growning family. Soon little Lucy-Girl will arrive and I felt that Caleb needs to be showcased a bit more. Clem and Iris we are going to let mature a little before showing. We happen to live fairly close to Canada so I plan to see whether we can get both gals's a Canadian championship as they dont see the half-mask and coloring as such a flaw.

Lucy, well, from the pictures has many of Clem's features, I think showing her, I will be her largest handicap. So, if you happen to see me walking too slow moving her in the ring, or something else, do say something, your not going to hurt my feelings by giving me advise.

Okay, well, this was supposed to be Caleb's spotlight, I got off track. Without further ado, I bring you Caleb!






4 comments:

penni said...

Good job, Caleb -- you wormed your way into their hearts and you have a forever home.

Have a great time with Clem and Iris and baby Lucy. You might try for a PT or a CD or a TD on Clem -- it would help her mom and dad with ROM points and their progeny counts, and you'd probably have a blast.

CardiLover said...

I love Caleb! He and his siblings are my birthday mates, so they've always been special. I see his brother, Georgie, fairly frequently around town. And I certainly know about reputations with my ornery red boy! But I think that's part of what makes them so special. Mine all have a forever home, too. Couldn't even imagine letting one go anywhere else. I'm so happy to know Caleb's found that with you!!!

Traci said...

Sorry to hear about his hips, but he's still a beautiful boy all the same!! :) He's lucky to have such great people!!:)

Jeri said...

Ah he's a handsome boy, hips or not. I know the heartbreak a bit since my Leo also had bad hips...in my case, with space for a very limited number of dogs, it was better for me to place him. Luckily, there are many wonderful people out there who can love my dogs just as much as I do, and Leo has a great home. I didn't have breeding plans for Leo, but I was disappointed that we wouldn't be able to pursue agility...he would have been a lot of fun!

Have fun with the little one! She's a hoot. ;)

Post a Comment